Barbie: The Iconic Doll for All Ages
Barbie is one of the most iconic dolls ever created. Since 1959 when she made her debut, Barbie has been inspiring generations of kids around the world with her endless opportunities. Barbie is a timeless brand that speaks to young girls, but also to grown-ups; she has now become relevant not only as a toy but also as a lifestyle symbol. Read on to learn all about Barbie and discover why she is so loved.
History of Barbie
In the late 1950s, a toy company in America called Mattel introduced the world to their newest toy – Barbie. The first – and original – Barbie was a teenage fashion model with blonde hair, blue eyes and measurements that were unheard of for the time. Through Barbie, Mattel aimed to empower young girls by giving them an individual who could achieve anything and embody the ‘can do’ attitude.
Since then, Mattel has created more than 200 different versions of Barbie, from different nationalities and careers to animals and storybook characters. Her original figure has also since been updated to reflect universal beauty standards, such as the curvier Collab dolls, the ‘Being Anything’ line and the Les Petshops inspired dolls.
Reasons Why Girls Love Barbie
Since Barbie’s inception, millions of children worldwide have grown up with her, connecting to her story and immersing themselves in her world. Barbie provides kids with an inspiring character that they can relate to and can help spark their creativity. Here are some of the main reasons why kids love Barbie:
● She Empowers Girls: From being an astronaut to being a princess, Barbie has a passion for inspiring young girls to reach for their dreams. Barbie empowers them to be whatever they want and encourages them to see no limits in the possibilities that life can offer.
● She is an Endless Result of Creative Ideas: Kids love to connect and explore the world of Barbie. With each newly released figure, there is a new story to be told and explored. Girls can use their creativity and take Barbie’s world as far as their imagination will take them.
● She Provides A Variety of Outfits and Accessories: With each new generation of Barbie, comes a new wardrobe filled to the brim with beautiful and fashionable clothes. Plus, Barbie’s wide range of accessories allow young girls to further explore their creative side.
Barbie in Pop Culture
Over the years, Barbie has become an iconic symbol of pop culture. She has been featured in numerous movies, books, and even TV commercials.
● Movies: Barbie starred in five movies and was the main character of all of them – Barbie in the Nutcracker (2001), Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper (2004), Barbie Fairytopia (2005), Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus (2005) and Barbie and the Diamond Castle (2008).
● TV Commercials: Barbie made her television debut in 1961, for the very first time starring in a commercial for the Holiday Barbie, and since then, she has shared all her adventures with young girls through a series of exciting commercials featuring her and her friends.
● Books: Barbie has also been the protagonist in over one hundred book productions, both original stories and re-adaptations of the movies she has starred in. The books provide a comprehensive approach to Barbie’s life, while showing what it means to be a strong and independent woman.
Modern Influence of Barbie
As time has changed, so have the types of dolls in our society. With the emergence of the internet and modern media, Barbie has been able to make her mark on the world of fashion, gaming, and even technology.
● Barbie in Fashion: Today, Barbie has become a fashion icon, inspiring countless young girls to emulate her style. You can find Barbie inspired clothing, accessories, and even make-up for young girls that bring the character to life in a unique way.
● Barbie in Video Games: Barbie’s popularity has also made its way into the gaming world. There are several brands of Barbie video games from educational to adventure games. From helping young girls develop essential skills to providing hours of fun, these Barbie games provide something for everyone.
● Barbie Apps & Tech Gadgets: Barbie has also made her way into tech gadgets and applications such as the Hello Barbie App, which provides educational and entertaining programs for young girls. Plus, toy makers have even created smart gadgets that help little ones learn how to program their own robots or dolls.
Barbie is an iconic figure that has been adored by kids for decades. Although she has been around for decades, she still remains relevant in today’s world. From inspiring girls to reach greater heights to providing them with a platform of creative exploration, Barbie is a timeless toy that generations of young girls have connected with. Through fashion, video games, apps and gadgets, Barbie is able to influence the lives of young girls in a positive way.