10 Inspiring and Uplifting C.S. Lewis Quotes
C.S. Lewis was an English author, poet, medievalist, literary critic, and lay theologian. He is best known for his work on the fiction series The Chronicles of Narnia and is regarded as one of the most influential Christian writers. Here are 10 of the most inspiring and uplifting quotes by C.S. Lewis.
1. “It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad.”
This quote from Lewis speaks to how life necessitates personal growth and change in order to reach our fullest potential. While it may be difficult to adapt and transition, it’s essential for our own growth.
2. “We all want progress, but if you’re on the wrong road, progress means doing the same thing but faster.”
In this quote, Lewis cautions us not to assume that our current situation is the best or most accurate path. Without reviewing our options, our only outcome is to increase speed down the wrong road.
3. “It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”
This quote speaks to how we often settle for less than our potential. We can too quickly settle for simple and material pleasures without taking into account the deeper joy and contentment in store for us.
4. “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.”
This quote speaks to the idea that we cannot undo the past, but we always have control and responsibility over how the future will unfold. No matter what our history is, our future is up to us.
5. “Failures, repeated failures, are finger posts on the road to achievement. One fails forward toward success.”
This C.S. Lewis quote serves to remind us that failure and mistakes are the destinations on the path to success. Whenever we make a mistake or suffer failure, we learn something and gain valuable experience that can much better inform future decisions.
6. “We are what we believe we are.”
This inspiring quote speaks to the self-fulfilling power of self-belief. Whatever you believe to be true will ultimately shape your thoughts and actions, creating your own perceptions and reality.
7. “There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.”
This quote encourages us to look to the future with positivity and hope, to strive for the better things that lie ahead. So often, we’re fixated on things we’ve lost or mistakes from the past, but this quote serves as a beautiful reminder that the future is full of hopeful potential.
8. “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
Lewis meant this quote to express the idea that our appetite to engage with and understand the world around us is never satisfied. We’re always curious, always learning, and always eager to experience more.
9. “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it’s thinking of yourself less.”
This quote speaks to the importance of humility and selflessness in how we interact with those around us. It’s not about putting yourself down, it’s about taking care of others and understanding their feelings and experiences.
10. “No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear.”
Sadness, fear, and grief can all be very similar in our physical and emotional responses. This quote speaks to the idea that no matter how deep our sorrows run, we still have the capacity to be brave and fight our way out of them.
C.S. Lewis was an influential writer whose work is still deeply appreciated the world over. He speaks to the power of the human spirit, to the hope and joy that we can create with our own choices. The 10 quotes presented here are some of the most inspiring words spoken by Lewis and serve as a reminder that we should never give up and to always look forward to the future with hope and courage.