Humor is perhaps one of the best weapons of mankind. It has helped to bring people together in light of difficult times, and it has illuminated the darkness so that light may reach the masses. It is no wonder then, that the popular art of joke-telling is one of the oldest practices in existence. Even before the written word, people were gathering around fires and telling stories that had them in stitches of laughter. Jokes are a way for any culture to come alive, providing a sort of sociable avenue for people to get to know one another better. Whether it be in the form of a quip, an anecdote, a pun, a riddle, or a story, jokes can bring joy to any situation. Read on for a comprehensive overview of the funny jokes of the world.
Origins of Funny Jokes
Jokes, in all their varied forms, have been around since the dawn of time. It’s believed that the earliest humans laughed out of joy or relief, often when they achieved something or overcame some sort of fear they had. Similarly, hilarity arose in the form of stories and jokes spun around the campfire during long nights, providing a source of entertainment while providing comfort to one another in the process.
Jokes have also been found in ancient texts, such as in parts of the Epic of Gilgamesh, which dates back to 2150 BCE. They were often used to poke fun at the gods or other characters, and much like today, were used to defuse tension and lighten the mood.
Types of Funny Jokes
There are a plethora of joke categories that can be found throughout the world. Here are some of the more popular styles of humorous anecdotes and stories:
– Knock Knock Jokes: A classic form of joke-telling where the joker will say “knock knock”, followed by the other person responding “who’s there?”. The jokes usually end with a play on words.
– Pun Jokes: Humorous word plays performed by using words with similar pronunciations.
– Dad Jokes: Short, pun-filled jokes popularized by fathers.
– Riddle Jokes: Usually involve questions meant to be answered by the audience in an effort to make them laugh.
– Anecdotal Jokes: Real-life stories told by the joke-teller that are often used as a way to provide comic relief.
Best Funny Jokes
Of course, there are always so many jokes that it can be difficult to decide which are the funniest. Here are some of the best, tried and true funny jokes from around the world.
– Q: What did the fish say when it hit the wall?
– Q: What do you call a singing computer?
– Two peanuts were walking down the street. One was a salted.
– Q: Why don’t eggs tell jokes?
A: They’d crack each other up!
– Q: What did one plate say to the other plate?
A: Dinner is on me!
– Q: Why did the hipster burn his tongue?
A: He drank his coffee before it was cool.
– Q: Why did the coffee file a police report?
A: It got mugged!
Fun Facts About Jokes
Jokes are an integral part of any culture, and they can teach us a lot about a certain region. Here are some unique facts that you may have not known about the art of joke-telling:
In Finland, there is an official “joking season” every April, which is when you can make fun and jokes freely without drawing too much ire.
Researchers believe that humans began telling jokes as early as 70,000 years ago.
Plato felt that jokes were an essential part of maintaining balance in society.
In 2014, the world’s longest joke was performed at Edinburgh Festival Fringe and lasted a whopping 4 hours and 3 minutes.
Humor is a powerful thing, giving life to the darkness and offering hope in seemingly dire situations. This is why jokes are such an integral part of any culture, providing an avenue for togetherness where people can grandstand their intellect and good nature. Whether it be in the form of an anecdote, a pun, a riddle, or a story, jokes are always sure to bring a little bit of joy to the lives of those who hear them. Here’s to more laughter, until the end of time.